Sunday, November 30, 2008

WEIGH-IN ( -17 pounds) Day 9

It has a been a rollercoaster. I won't lie and tell you that I felt great from day 1-8 post-op but I can say that the hell you go through for the first 8 days gets better. Day 9 is when I started to feel myself and get used to the diet and the way it makes you feel. I felt very weak, hungry sometimes and bored with my choices. My body is going through changes and healing and I had to get used to it.


I had feelings of anxiety which struck me as odd at first but it makes sense. I feel restricted and that caused a certain amount of panic in me the first couple of days. I also experienced serious buyers remorse afterwards as well. I wondered what in the world I was thinking restricting myself from the joy of food. I also realized that where I thought I did not have an eating problem before, I might have because even though I am not hungry, I still desired to taste and eat certain foods anyway. That was a big shock to me as I always thought that I did not overeat. Well folks, maybe I do and have and thats how I ended up 290 pounds.


I can say that following the diet and getting the protein to add to what you eat has probably contributed to the success I am having so far. And success makes you want more of it. I have substituted ice cream for frozen yogurt and eat primarily no fat, no sugar foods. I am compiling some recipes that I will post at a later date. Definitely getting past the liquid phase is the worst part of this. But days come and go and all I can say is, stick to it and know that you will feel better soon. I am also keeping track of everything I eat via an application called livestrong.com found on my iphone but usable via internet or iphone. It has access to eveything. Even the Wendy's chili I pureed yesterday. I figured that I would track what I eat and if I had a problem afterwards, I would already see what I have consumed. I also have learned that I consume about 300-500 calories a day and that could contribute to my weakness. My research says that it is very common during the fluid phase. Since I paid for my surgery, I vowed to find a nutritionist to help me keep everything balanced. I will update you on that when I find one.

I have located a couple of fill doctors too. One in Chattanooga at the Chattanooga Memorial Hospital's Weight Management Center. There numbers are: 423-495-2244, toll free 1-866-313-2244. They charge $300 the first visit and $250 after that. It is done under flouoroscopy every time and it is easy for me to travel to.

Today I did my first 45 minute walk. I was active before the surgery so I am just getting back into what I am allowed to do. I highly recommend exercising when its time. Don't overdo it!

Start (11/21/08) 290
Today (12/1/08) 273

3 comments:

Jennifer Ashley said...

Hi Stephanie! 17 lbs - Great Job! How are you feeling today? I have 11 more days till my surgery w/Dr. Zapata - any suggestions/thoughts for me? Dr. Zapata performed my sis-in-laws surgery in Feb 2007. Sam started off weighing 280 and is now down to 152 - she looks fab!
Keep up the great work!
Jennifer Ashley

Stephanie on the LOSE! said...

Jennifer....how do I respond to you directly (LOL) I cant figure it out! Today I am feeling great. I am getting used to my diet and I feel really good. I worked out at lunch again today and am adjusting well. Trust me when I say I would not have thought that I would say I felt great a few days ago but I do. I keep reading about lap band stuff and things I should not do because I hate to feel awful. Dr. Zapata is a very nice kind man. He will put you at ease really quickly. the hospital is beautiful and I felt like I was at a resort. It helps to know some passing Spanish so you can communicate with the nurses but they are very nice and kind. Your sis in law has done outstanding....WOW. I hope to report such great results. Email me with your email address so I can email you directly. I didn't see one when I clicked your name.

Melanie said...

Hi there, thanks for becoming a follower of my blog (sounds bizare to me, like disciples or something!!) Anyway, well done you on achieveing so much already. It's not an easy journey but it's a fabulous journey as I've discovered. I still enjoy food but just in smaller amounts and becasue I no longer shovel it down I'm actually enjoying it. If you've read my blog you'll know this is not without its challanges but I have not regretted my decision for a second. I look forward to reading about your next steps. Melanie